Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chattacon and So Much More

What do I say? For some reason I always go into things, especially cons with and attitude that it may be the most terrible thing ever. So far, every time, I've been wrong. I mean it's a con. How bad could it ever get? So Chattacon was a blast. I met some really great people and met back up with people I met a week ago in Atlanta at the Mechanical Masquerade.

The Good People
So let me take a moment to introduce you to them. Fist off, Bill Harrison and Krista at Venusian Airship Pirate Trading Co. (And Beer Pouring Masters) were directly next to my booth. Good people and I purchased a small firearm for protection against rival pirates. Thank you for the quality weaponry! Here's Bill with an impressive collection of home made steampunk weapons. (Staff photo by Angela Lewis/Chattanooga Times Free Press)


Also, the ladies and gentlemen from The Syrens of the South were vending. I attended the Mechanical Masquerade in Atlanta GA last weekend and it was a great time. So anyone reading this in Atlanta or the surrounding areas. Make sure you go to the next Masquerade. I'm pretty sure the next one is March 27th so be sure to attend!


I did two panels moderated by Emily Bush, the fabulous writer of Chenda and the Airship Brofman. Steampunk Literature with Emilie Bush and Kathryn Fernquist Hinds. Also I was part of the Tesla Vs. Watt Debate with Emilie Bush moderating and Arthur Hinds (wonderful musician and steampunk maker in the band Emerald Rose. And get this... somehow I won the debate by 1 point. (Personally I thought I was doomed.) Anyway, you all were amazing and I hope this is the beginning of a wonderful friendship.


Also, many thanks and to Christopher Range, Artist Extraordinaire and Capt. Magnus Maelstromme of the Got Steam? Steampunk Emporium. (I Still want your goggles!)I hope to see you all soon!


Arcattack
If you've never seen or heard of the band Arcattack... well, you have to look into them. Again, I had no idea how amazing this show could be. Imagine two eight foot Tesla Coils blasting out a million volts of electricity but here's the trick, the electricity has different tones and therefor is manipulated to play songs. Accompany that with a robotic drummer and a live bass and guitar player and what do you get? Pure amazement! Don't believe me? Look at their site here. Still don't believe me? Check out the guy in the suit getting blasted in the middle of a song by the Tesla Coils.

Photo by Brad Smith (Ensign Sparklebunny)

Room Parties
I don't know what to say about the room parties at Chattacon. Pretty much the craziest environment I've been in... maybe ever. Imagine an entire hotel with people all over the floors flowing in and out of the themed room parties such as Hypericon, Frolicon, and Pirate party. Good times that are almost impossible to describe.

See What Has Been and What The Future Sees
That's right, I'll be signing at Davis Kidd in Nashville TN (Green Hills Mall) on Saturday January 30th. Yep, this Saturday, from 2PM - 5PM. This is my big day in town, so please come say hi, buy a book, give me a high five or something.

1 comment:

  1. IT was a hoot - The audiences were very kind - and only heckled when it was needed, wanted and funny.
    Great to meet you, Nick. Now about Crossroads Writer's Conference. You wanna come? I'll feed you....

    ReplyDelete