Monday, June 4, 2012

George The Animal Steele


When I was a little boy I loved wrestling. In the 80s, it seemed totally real and I totally bought into the good guy, bad guy characters and loved and hated them all. I had a bunch of favorites, Macho Man Randy Savage, Koko Beware, The Junkyard Dog, rowdy Roddy Piper and of course Hulk Hogan.

In the pantheon of old school favorites was none other than the green tongued, hairy backed turnbuckle eating George The Animal Steele. This dude was absolutely nuts and always got an infectious hearty chuckle out of my dad that left me rolling around on the floor laughing with him.

So this morning, my dad calls and tells me that George The Animal Steele is not only alive but he threw out the first pitch at a minor league baseball game... But of course he couldn't just throw the ball... The 75 year old Steel chewed the cover off the baseball, sauntered aimlessly off the pitcher's mound and threw the tattered ball like a caveman might throw a rock. It's hilarious and I'm still laughing as I type this.

For you old school wrestling fans, or just those that like watching wonderfully crazy people, enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment